How do movers protect the furniture from damages? What happens if there are Damages during my move?
This is a great question! We take this very seriously as our reputation relies on getting your furniture from your old home to your new home safely, quickly and with no damage. When navigating large and / or heavy furniture in and out of homes and on to a moving truck, there are hazards along the way. We wrap your furniture with furniture pads and / or shrink wrap before it even leaves the room its in. This protects your walls / stairwells in your current home as well.
When performing a move, we often need to pack the moving truck very tightly. That means that we will be stacking furniture on top of each other. The moving blankets will protect scratches dings and dents along the way.
We will also dismantle larger pieces like kitchen tables and beds so we can more safely carry them and wrap them. Our goal is to leave little to no exposed wood or leather or upholstery.
Am I covered from damages during my move?
Our contract (or bill of lading, BOL for short) protects you against damages up to $.60 per pound. Some states are $.30 per pound. So if a piece of furniture gets damaged and weighs 100 lbs then we cover you for $60.00. Additional coverage is available as well. Read more about our valuation and standard coverage by clicking here.
Unfortunately not all items are made for moving. There are some items that come with limited or no damage protection. That does not mean that we will not do everything in our power to prevent damages. We take pride in our ability to perform moves damage free and our crew members often have internal competitions on who can perform the most moves without a damage claim! We put each crew member thru a series of training exercises to ensure all employees are proficient at wrapping, carrying, loading and packing furniture on the truck.
So what things are not covered for damages?
- Damage to any owner-packed items, cartons, or containers, including plastic storage containers with no apparent physical damage to the container itself.
- Functionality of any TV’s, Stereos, Computers or other electronic equipment unless the client has tested the equipment for our crew leader prior to moving AND there is no visible physical damage to the unit in question or the box it was transported in.
- Electrical or mechanical malfunctioning coverage may be available for a nominal additional premium. If such coverage is purchased, it is required that any electrical or mechanical item covered by this insurance must be inspected at origin and destination by movers, with a specific note on the carrier’s inventory indicating the operable condition of this item. Failure to do so will cause denial of claim in case of loss and/or damage to the items and will not constitute refund for this insurance coverage. Any item inventoried by the mover as MCU (mechanical condition unknown) will not be covered.
- Damage to any furniture constructed of any type of veneered chipboard, particle board, MDF —medium density fiberboard, composite board, or similar. Any reduction in quality thereof arising as the result of dismantling or reassembling of any such items of furniture is also excluded. (think IKEA Furniture)
- Marring, scratching, denting, chipping, or rubbing on items which have been received by the carrier as Previously Damaged
- Minor drywall and paint damage is not covered. It is inevitable that minor scratches dings and dents will occur from time to time, particularly from moving large items in and around tight stairwells and hallways.
We will perform a walk thru at the beginning of every move and do a brief inspection of your furniture. If we find that there is pre existing damage to a piece, your crew leader will bring this to your attention. If your crew leader feels that there are pieces of furniture that are susceptible to damage due to its condition or there are halls / stairways that are too small for safe / damage free moving, they will also bring this to your attention and request your signature on a waiver form. If you know of any pieces that require extra care, please inform your crew leader and we will ensure safe transit for you!
If you would like more information, please give us a call at 1-888-SUB-SOLV or request a quote online!