At Suburban Solutions Philadelphia, we take extra care in ensuring a safe and stress free move of the contents of your home or office. From time to time, things will happen that are out of our control. For this reason, we have different levels of valuation. “Valuation” and “insurance” are are often a challenge to fully understand, but it is very important to know how you are protected before your move.
There’s a tremendous amount at stake come move day. All of your life’s possessions are carefully packed up and strategically loaded by the movers. Although the mover is liable for the value of goods we handle, it is the shipper (that’s you) that must understand the level of liability a mover is responsible for – also known as valuation.
Here is additional information on how Valuation works
Included at no additional charge with your move is coverage of $0.60/ lb released valuation for any damages.
So what does this mean if your TV is damaged during a move? Should anything happen to your television, the weight of the set multiplied by $0.60 is our obligated coverage (A damaged TV weighing 65lbs would net a reimbursement check for $39.00 – We’re very skilled movers, but in the event of damage we all know this will not help replace the TV.
An option that tends to better account for the value of your possessions, albeit at a higher cost, is called “Full Replacement Valuation. ” With this valuation, your possessions are covered for their current replacement value. This valuation is based on a value of your goods at $6.00 per pound and a minimum shipment value of $6,000.00. The weight of your shipment is multiplied by $6.00 to determine the carrier’s (Suburban Solutions Philadelphia) maximum liability in the event of loss or damage. For example, if your shipment weighs 10,000 pounds, the carrier’s maximum liability for all loss or damage will amount to $60,000.
Under Full Replacement Valuation, we are liable for the replacement value of lost or damaged goods in your shipment (to the condition of the item(s) in question as we first receive them on moving day.)
This is the more comprehensive plan available for the protection of your belongings. If any article is destroyed or damaged while in Suburban Solutions custody, we will, at our discretion, offer to do one (1) of the following for each item:
- Repair the item
- Replace with a similar item
- Make a cash settlement for the cost of the repair or the current market replacement value
Under this option, movers are permitted to limit their liability for loss or damage to articles of extraordinary value, unless you specifically list these articles on the shipping documents. An article of extraordinary value is any item whose value exceeds $100 per pound (i.e., jewelry, silverware, china, furs, antiques).
Here are two examples of a potential claim and how it can be handled:
- You elect to purchase additional coverage for your move with a $500 deductible.
- On moving day, a dresser is damaged in transit or by the negligence of our staff.
- A receipt, comparable retail item from the same vendor or manufacturer or a public appraisal values the damaged item at $850.00
- We can settle a claim thru the following two ways:
- We can repair the item back to its condition on moving day -or-
- You would be eligible for a check in the amount of $350 ($850 value less $500 deductible)
- You elect to purchase additional coverage for your move with a $500 deductible.
- On moving day, we damage a mirror and scratch a hardwood floor due to negligence of our staff.
- A receipt for the mirror or an estimate for the scratch repair are both valued at $125.00 ($250.00)
- In this scenario, the replacement value does not exceed the $500.00. There would be no pay out for this claim and both would be out of pocket expenses. We would still be happy to recommend you to vendors we trust that would provide you with our preferred pricing.
We offer three levels of coverage, $0 deductible, $250 deductible and a $500 deductible.
- For a $0 deductible, the rate is $1.19 per $100 of Coverage
- For a $250 deductible, the rate is $.89 per $100 of coverage
- For a $500 deductible, the rate is $.69 per $100 of coverage
Example, your Shipment weighs 9,250 lbs. Multiply 9,250 * $6.00. Your shipments maximum liability is $55,500. For a $250 deductible you would divide $55,500 / 100 and that equals $555. Multiply that by $.89 for a cost to you of $493.95.
To find out the weight of your shipment, please view the grey box on the Job Details Section of your estimate:
If you have any questions about our coverage, just call or email us! Remember, additional coverage MUST be purchased and paid for prior to your move!
Exclusions to our coverage:
- Damage to any owner-packed items, cartons, or containers, including plastic storage containers with no apparent physical damage to the container itself.
- Non-delivery of a shipping package if the delivery receipt shows that all packages were delivered to the final destination.
- Loss or damage to lampshades, jewelry, watches, gem stones, cash, currency or bank notes, deeds, travelers checks, coin or stamp collections, sports memorabilia, alcoholic beverages, foods, medications, negotiable items, furs or garments trimmed with fur, ammunition, contraband, cigarettes, laptop or tablet computers, mobile or cellular telephones.
- Loss or damage caused by wear and tear, deterioration, changes in climatic conditions, mold and mildew, infestations, pre-existing damages, or inherent vice.
- Functionality of any TV’s, Stereos, Computers or other electronic equipment unless the client has tested the equipment for our crew leader prior to moving AND there is no visible physical damage to the unit in question or the box it was transported in.
- Electrical or mechanical malfunctioning coverage may be available for a nominal additional premium. If such coverage is purchased, it is required that any electrical or mechanical item covered by this insurance must be inspected at origin and destination by movers, with a specific note on the carrier’s inventory indicating the operable condition of this item. Failure to do so will cause denial of claim in case of loss and/or damage to the items and will not constitute refund for this insurance coverage. Any item inventoried by the mover as MCU (mechanical condition unknown) will not be covered.
- Damage to any furniture constructed of any type of veneered chipboard, particle board, MDF —medium density fiberboard, composite board, or similar. Any reduction in quality thereof arising as the result of dismantling or reassembling of any such items of furniture is also excluded.
- Wrinkled or soiled clothing, linens, drapes, or rugs.
- Items not listed on the movers’ inventory prepared at origin. Items not shipped are not insured.
- Marring, scratching, denting, chipping, or rubbing on items which have been received by the carrier as previously damaged
- Real Estate property damage and/or any service related issues, including but not limited to mover and customer agreements, shipment delays, etc.
- Minor drywall and paint damage is not covered. It is inevitable that minor scratches dings and dents will occur from time to time, particularly from moving large items in and around tight stairwells and hallways.
- Damage or loss to any items listed or specifically excluded on the moving company’s Order for Service, Bill of Lading, or Waiver Forms.
- Any damages caused as a result of these being in the shipment: hazardous materials, items that are flammable, corrosive or explosive; perishables: food, plants or living things that may die or spoil in transit
- Contributory negligence on the part of the owner and/or their agents. Damages or loss attributed to an act, order, or omission on the part of the shipper.
- Loss or damage to any items or shipment that contains non household items, or items that are considered for commercial, industrial or non-household use, including merchandise for sale or exhibition.
- LIABILITY OF COMPANY: We are responsible only for our own negligence. We assume no liability of any kind of loss or damage to goods caused by weather, bug or rodent infestation, rust, deterioration, an Act of God, an act of governmental agency or public enemy, or any other causes beyond our control.
- CONTENTS OF FURNITURE/CONTAINERS: We assume no liability for the contents of drawers, containers or other items of similar nature. All contents should be removed from items prior to the move.
- ELECTRONICS: We assume no liability for the electrical and/or mechanical function of any and all electronics, whether or not our employees pack them. We recommend electronics to be serviced by a qualified service company.
- MECHANICAL ITEMS: We assume no liability for the mechanical function of any and all mechanical devices including pianos, juke boxes, phonographs, etc., whether or not our employees pack them. We recommend mechanical items to be serviced by a qualified service company.
- OVERSIZE ITEMS: We assume no liability for damage to oversize items that do not fit through doorways or hallways properly. We also assume no liability for damage to doorways and/or hallways that are damaged due to oversize items.
Furniture and Packing Care:
- Suburban Solutions will not be held responsible for damages to items the Client chooses to not have padded and/or shrink wrapped.
- Suburban Solutions will not be held responsible for damages to items or property when the Client chooses to have force applied to items during course of move.
- Suburban Solutions does it’s best to point out previous furniture damage, and can not be held responsible for any item that is damaged prior to moving.
- Due to a lack of structural integrity, Suburban Solutions is not liable for damage that occurs to any furniture made of pressed wood or particleboard.
- Suburban Solutions will not be held responsible for damages to items within boxes not packed by Suburban Solutions unless physical damage is done to the box during the move.
- Suburban Solutions will not be held responsible for large (8 sq. ft. or greater) fragile items that are required to be created in order to move the item safely (ie: works of art/statues, slabs of marble/granite, panes of glass/mirrors, etc.). If Client should choose to have Suburban Solutions move such item it will be at Client’s risk.
- Client must notify Suburban Solutions of any items of extraordinary value ($100 per pound or greater) that will be handled by Suburban Solutions. These items must be packed by Suburban Solutions or by the Client in the presence of the Suburban Solutions Crew Leader. These items must be explicitly listed on the Bill of Lading and acknowledged by Suburban Solutions and Client via signatures.
- All fragile items must be packed and labeled appropriately. Suburban Solutions reserves the right to pack any items not already packed and will charge the Client for time and materials. Suburban Solutions is not responsible for any items the client chooses not to have boxed.